To my dearest parents… You win! The joke is on me. You wished me on myself many years ago. I told you it would never happen. Guess who’s laughing now?

My 2 year old daughter is a feisty, moody… it better be my way or the highway kind of girl. I love this precious little one to death. I do! BUT – my goodness. Something has got to give. At least I won’t have to worry about her keeping her boyfriends in line when she is a teenager.
I can deal with the temper tantrums during the day. Those I don’t have a problem with.
What I can’t cope with is the shit show that bedtime has become. My daughter used to be such a great little sleeper. Easy to get to bed each night. One day it was like a switch went off and she was like “Hey… Wait a minute! I’m 2 now and I can decide when I want to go to bed”.
The protesting. The shrieking. The crying. The restlessness. I can’t take it anymore.

Normally you won’t hear me complain much, but I’m at the end of my rope here. I crave bedtime. Once the littles are in bed… it’s me time! Me time… you know… alone time! Precious, golden alone time with no youngsters tugging at you and all the mindless TV you can’t imagine. Now I’m lucky if my dear daughter is asleep by 10 or 11PM.
I’ve tried lying beside her bed, stroking her hair until she’s near sleep. Crawling (more like inch worming) my way out of her room. Barely shutting the door to hear the shrieks ensue.
I’ve tried dropping all naps thinking that maybe she just wasn’t tired enough. No such luck.
I’ve put a night light in her room. She loves it, but a fear of the dark certainly wasn’t the issue either.
What gives?!?
I need my good little sleeper back again. I feel like I’m beginning to take a page out of the book “Go The Fuck To Sleep”.

Image Source: Life123

17 Comments on Bedtime Wars With Toddler – What Gives?!?

1. Tara P.
    February 28, 2012 at 3:46 am (6 years ago)

It’s weird that all of a sudden she is doing this. I know it took Nora 13 mos to sleep through the night and go to bed on her own & I was on the verge of insanity. Like you said, that end of the day alone time is SO precious!!!! Mindless TV, the internet, blankly staring at a wall!I wish you the best of luck. I haven’t been through this with my almost 2 yr old (yet-knock on wood), so I don’t have any suggestions. It sounds like you’re doing everything I’d be doing. Does she want to be held? Or does she just want to be up with you guys?

• Nicole
      February 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm (6 years ago)

She just wants to be up with us. If she had her way, she’d never sleep.

February 28, 2012 at 12:57 pm (6 years ago)

LOL oh dear just remember – it’s a phase, it’s a phase, it’s a phase!!!

LOL my daughter walked up to the computer just as I was reading the title of that vid 😉

3. Christine
    February 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm (6 years ago)

Been there! You’re not in this alone. Not that it helps! 😉 I’ve heard of that book too! I was tempted to buy it! 😉

February 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm (6 years ago)

Oh yes, it is a phase and just keep saying that, lol. My daughter went through the same thing, my son, not at all. But when she hit one she hated sleeping, it didn’t matter what we did.

5. Ninja Mommers
    February 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm (6 years ago)

DEEP CLEANSING BREATHS! LOL!
    That book is epic- I bought it for my sister for her babyshower when pregnant with her first. I love the book and the reading by Mr. Saumel L Jackson himself is the best!

You will get through this Momma!

6. Shashers Life
    February 28, 2012 at 2:06 pm (6 years ago)

It may be 12 years ago but I still remember closing the door and hearing him (my oldest) scream until he gagged, then he’d hoist himself out of his crib and come to the door. I’d have to hold onto the handle and with full, brute force, hold the door shut. Until finally, he’d fall to the floor, in a crumpled mess, asleep at last.

Hopefully this is just a phase and will end soon.

7. ~ The Country Mouse ~
    February 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm (6 years ago)

Been there too. And, my sister lives this struggle every night with her near 4 year old. Her daughter cries until she throws up and is never asleep before 10 or 11. Mine still wander around after they’ve been put to bed, but generally they are pretty good at bed time. All I can say is Good Luck!

8. Insane Mamacita
    February 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm (6 years ago)

My youngest was doing this for a while and he’s 2 as well. He would scream bloody murder. It was very unsettling. Glad it has stopped for now (*knock on wod*). Hopefully she gets over it soon and you can somewhat relax again.

9. Sober Julie
    February 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm (6 years ago)

My first daughter was like this, I hated our squeaky floors back then and had been known to army crawl out of her room. Now she’s the BEST sleeper! Breathe sister, it changes

10. Rachel
    February 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm (6 years ago)

Wish I could give you some wise advise, but like Julie said, breathe, it changes.

February 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm (6 years ago)

Hang in there! Your hair pulling won’t last too long. You can do it 🙂

12. OrangeHeroMama
    February 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm (6 years ago)

ahhh yes, that stage was BRUTAL!!!! We lived in an old house w creaky stairs, and it was hell. Just remember that this too shall pass. keep breathing mama!

(((hugs)))

13. Deanna T.
    February 29, 2012 at 5:38 am (6 years ago)

Oh boy, this stage sucks. I feel for you lady. Hang in there. It sounds backasswards, but do NOT drop the naps. For littles, good daytime sleep leads to good night time sleep.

14. Making Our Life Matter
    February 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm (6 years ago)

I really don’t miss that stage. Not one little bit. It does eventually get better, but you just need to hang in there!

15. Brandi
    March 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm (6 years ago)

I would def keeptl the naps…and maybe try putting her to bed earlier…she may just be overtired since shes so active now. And she may be getting he’d second wind by the time you lay her down. I know my 3 year old is like that.

16. Anonymous
    November 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm (5 years ago)

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog
    posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally
    stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i’m glad to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I such a lot for sure will make sure to do not fail to remember this site and give it a glance regularly.
    Also visit my blog ; panic attack