Reflecting back on my child I remember wondering how my parents could keep it afloat. How did they manage to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table? I was so naive. I’ll be the first to admit that I took a lot for granted. I took them from for granted. Don’t most children!? I never had a true appreciation for everything they did for my brother and I until I moved out on my own at the ripe age of 21.

Prior to living on my own, I’ll admit I worried. I worried A LOT! I had anxieties over my future. The future was full of unknowns. With unknowns posed change. Could I keep up? Would I be good enough? Stable on my own two feet?

Looking back I can’t help but chuckle. It’s really not all that bad. I’ve encountered my share of tragedies, but I’ve also achieved many triumphs. I’m proud of my accomplishments.

I spent today at a decor center browsing interior design selections, enjoying the ambiance of a beautifully staged home. It felt like a dream. So surreal. I still can’t believe my husband and I are at a point in our lives to build our next home from the ground up. It’s actually happening. Wow. Pinch me!

That naive little girl, oh-20-some years ago would have never anticipated this dream to come true.

Image Credit: Heritage Park Homes Ltd.

8 Comments on From The Ground Up

1. Nicole
    January 30, 2012 at 1:14 am (6 years ago)

Thanks for the follow! I’ve visited your blog and am also a new followed on GFC. I look forward to reading your posts!

Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

Nicole

2. Christine
    March 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm (5 years ago)

What a beautiful post, Nicole…and oh, so true! Amazing how much we can accomplish and how much we can grow. I love this post!

3. Sober Julie
    March 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm (5 years ago)

It’s so fun to look back and think what we would think of ourselves today….how far we’ve come!

March 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm (5 years ago)

When my oldest moves out it was a September. She asked me if I would get her “house stuff” for Christmas. I bought a large rubbermaid container and filled it with treats I knew she couldn’t afford and bits and pieces like paper towels, dish cloths, can opener. All the small stuff. She was thrilled. When the following Christmas came around she was pretty much settled but asked me if I’d do the same thing again LOL

5. Jennifer L
    March 8, 2012 at 7:38 am (5 years ago)

That is very exciting! It is amazing what we take for granted when we are kids and I wish my parents would have talk to me about money and stuff like that.

6. Canadian Dad
    March 8, 2012 at 8:07 am (5 years ago)

I 100% took my parents for granted and have spent the past 10 years trying to make it up to my Mom. So much crap we put them through, lol!

Chris